©Christoph Gerigk/Franck Goddio/Hilti Foundation
- Do you like studying history at school?
- What period of history would you like to go back and live in?
- artifact /AHR-tuh-fakt /
- discover /dih-SKUHV-er/
- marine /muh-REEN/
- collection /kuh-LEK-shuhn/
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt/
[noun] – an object, such as a tool, that was made in the past
The museum displays many stone age artifacts.
[verb] – to find information, a place, or an object, especially for the first time
Benjamin Franklin was the one who discovered electricity.
[adjective] – related to the sea or sea transport
Whales and seals are marine mammals.
[noun] – a group of objects of one type that have been collected by one person or in one place
Ken has a huge collection of Harry Potter books.
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
Many families have lived in this valley since ancient times.
Together with the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities of Egypt, French marine archaeologist Franck Goddio led the mission in discovering the sunken boats. Surprisingly, these boats still contain doum nuts (fruits of an African palm tree) and grape seeds. Goddio believed that these fruits might have been kept as offerings for the dead. Not far away, the team also found a burial hill (also called tumulus), and a huge collectionof Greek memorial pieces. “Nothing was disturbed,” Goddio explained.
Ancient pottery, bronze pieces, and figurines showing the Egyptian god Osiris (also called Usir), were also found around the burial hill. According to the European Institute for Underwater Archaeology (IEASM), the discovery “beautifully illustrates the presence of Greek merchants and mercenaries who lived in Thonis-Heracleion, the city that controlled the entrance to Egypt at the mouth of the Canopic branch of the Nile.”
True or False:
- The discovery happened in Rome, Italy.
- Franck Goddio was the one who led the mission.
- The discovered old fruit baskets still contain mangoes and oranges, according to the article.
- Goddio and his team also found a burial hill around the area.
- Based on the article, figurines showing the Egyptian god Hathor were seen around the burial hill.
Fill in the blanks:
- Steve keeps a huge _______ of LEGO blocks.
- Pollution can harm _______ life.
- Penicilin was _______ by Scottish doctor-scientist Alexander Fleming.
- The scientists are observing the _______ found from the cave.
- The _______ Egyptians stored information on scrolls called Papyrus.