- How do you go to school/work?
- Which do you prefer, public or private transportation?
- on foot /on foot/
- roadway /ROHD-wey/
- cableway /KEY-buhl-wey/
- townspeople /TOUNZ-pee-puhl/
- a walk in the park /uh wawk in thuh pahrk/
[phrasal verb] – walking
I go to school on foot because I live near it.
[noun] – the part of the road on which vehicles drive
The bus blocking the roadway caused a traffic jam this afternoon.
[noun] – a transportation system in which goods are carried from a continuous moving cable
The villagers transport food through a cableway.
[noun] – people who live in a particular town, considered as a group
The townspeople agreed to the new rules.
[idiom] – something very easy to do
Ethan is good at math. I’m sure the test was a walk in the park for him.
Chamois is located 1,815 meters high on Aosta Valley, connected by trails and streets. This town of seven small villages was protected from roadways before due to its location. But during Italy’s economic improvement in the 1960s, the villagers wondered if they would finally make their homes accessible by car. In the end, they didn’t. What they requested, however, is a type of transportation better than any vehicle: a cableway. It’s quicker and causes no pollution at all. Even though the population dropped from 350 to 100, the townspeople had begun and continue to use their humble home to experiment with sustainability technologies such as renewable energy systems.
Traveling without any car, train, or bus may seem impossible to most of us, but for the residents of Chamois, doing so is just a walk in the park.
True or False:
- Chamois is located beside Aosta Valley.
- Chamois has seven small villages.
- Before Italy’s economic improvement, Chamois was protected from roadways.
- The villagers of Chamois requested a cableway.
- Chamois’ population did not drop.
Fill in the blanks:
|on foot||roadway||cableway||townspeople||a walk in the park|
- The instructions were easy to understand. I think baking is just _______.
- Do you go to your friend’s house _______?
- The _______ enjoyed their village’s summer festival.
- The people of Chamois travel using _______.
- The local government has plans to fix the _______.