- What toys did you play with as a child?
- What are some popular toy brands in your country?
- affect /uh-FEKT/
- stock /stok/
- chain /cheyn/
- independent /in-di-PEN-duhnt /
- selection /si-LEK-shuhn/
[verb] – to have an influence on someone or something, or to cause a change in someone or something
We already expected that the weather would affect our flight.
[noun] – the total amount of goods or the amount of a particular type of goods available in a shop
New stock of books will arrive next Tuesday.
[noun] – a set of connected or related things
Amanda owns a pizza chain in Ireland.
[adjective] – not influenced or controlled in any way by other people, events, or things
My uncle works for an independent organization.
[noun] – You can choose from a wide selection of cheese.
House of Spells has to pay 25-30% in container shipping costs and 30% more on customs charges. London Toy Company, the importer of Harry Potter toys, says it has now sold out of all of its stock of Harry Potter products. The company now has 35,000 toys held up at ports, amounting to £250,000. Moreover, the delay is adding 2.5-3 weeks to the time frame of order arrival. The toy company’s clients, like Amazon and Audi, are waiting to receive orders of toys. Alan Simpson, managing director of Toytown, a chain of independent toy stores is encouraging customers to start their Christmas shopping early this year as the selection of products will likely be different in December.
- Before the port delays, how much did a Harry Potter wand cost?
- Where is House of Spells located?
- Currently, how many toys from the London Toy Company are held up at ports?
- As a result of the delays, how many weeks were added to the time frame of order arrival?
- Why is Alan Simpson encouraging customers to start their Christmas shopping early this year?
- When was the last time you visited a toy store?
- Have you ever bought a toy as a gift for someone?
- If you were a store owner, how would you handle a customer who wanted an out-of-stock item?
- Do you think the port delays would negatively affect UK’s economy?
- In your opinion, what will the toy industry look like in the next ten years?