- What is your life goal?
- Who is the most successful person you know?
- frequently /FREE-kwuhnt-lee/
- idea /ahy-DEE-uh/
- accomplishment /uh-KOM-plish-muhnt/
- as soon as possible /uhz soon uhz POS-uh-buhl /
- common /KOM-uhn/
[adverb] – often
He frequently visits the art gallery.
[noun] – a belief or opinion
People have different ideas on online lessons.
[noun] – something done or finished successfully
Exercising every morning gives Sean a sense of accomplishment.
[adverb] – if you do something as soon as possible, you do it as quickly as you can
Please reply as soon as possible.
[adjective] – the same in a lot of places or for a lot of people
Eating rice in every meal is common in Asian countries.
The phrase “late bloomer” comes from our belief that people should achieve certain life goals at a young age and that those who don’t would be left behind. Due to a fascination with youthful accomplishments, current ideas of success often come with the pressure to achieve it as soon as possible. For those who are not yet successful at a later age, feelings of failure, negative self-comparison, and even a sense of being forgotten are common. Removing the pressure to achieve success at a specific timeline is not only good for mental health, but it can also help those who are labeled as “late bloomers” to realize that winning later in life is all right.
We must avoid biases that lead us to underestimate a person’s hidden potential. Instead, remember that no matter your age, success is success.
True or False:
- The idea of winning earlier in life is becoming more modern.
- The term “late bloomer” comes from the belief that we should be successful early in life.
- Current ideas of success come with the pressure to achieve it at a later age.
- Feelings of failure and negative self-comparison are common in “late bloomers”.
- Removing the pressure to achieve success at a specific age is good for our mental health only.
Fill in the blanks:
|frequently||idea||accomplishment||as soon as possible||common|
- They have different _______ about discipline.
- Please send the email _______.
- It is _______ to see many people at Christmas.
- Graduating college was his greatest _______.
- I see him _______ in concerts. He must love music.