- Have you been to Thailand?
- Are there businesses in your city that are still closed?
- tourism /TOOR-iz-uhm/
- require /ri-KWAHYUHR/
- register /REJ-uh-ster/
- district /DIS-trikt/
- hostel /HOS-tl/
[noun] – the business of providing services such as transport, places to stay, or entertainment for people who are on holiday
We need to improve the island’s tourism.
[verb] – to need something or make something necessary
Our company requires uniforms.
[verb] – to put information, especially your name, into an official list or record
I registered your name under the swimming club.
[noun] – an area of a country or town that has fixed borders that are used for official purposes, or that has a particular feature that makes it different from surrounding areas
Ginza is a shopping district in Tokyo.
[noun] – a large house where people can stay free or cheaply
I will stay in a hostel near the beach.
True or False:
- Thailand has not reopened its doors to tourism.
- The number of tourists in the country is expected to rise to 15 million in 2022.
- Only around 42% of the Thai population is fully vaccinated.
- Thailand is still registering almost 1,000 COVID-19 cases a day.
- Wiwan Siriwasaeree owns a hostel.
Fill in the blanks:
- You can find many interesting _______ in Osaka.
- I found a nice ______ for our short trip.
- The Italian restaurant ______ reservations.
- ______ in Bali offers a variety of sightseeing options.
- All visitors should _______ with the Japanese Embassy.