- How often do you eat at a restaurant these days?
- Do you always listen to news about COVID-19? Why or why not?
- curb /kurb/
- entry /EN-tree/
- optimistic /op-tuh-MIS-tik/
- consequence /KON-si-kwens/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
[noun] – a limit on something that is not wanted
Ellen should try to put a curb on her bad spending habits.
[noun] – the act of entering a place or joining a particular society or organization
The museum offers free entry for the whole month of May.
[adjective] – hoping or believing that good things will happen in the future
Let’s remain optimistic during these hard times.
[noun] – a result of a particular action or situation, often one that is bad or not convenient
You should think about the consequences of your actions more often.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
His friends predicted that he will win an Olympic medal.
Many Thai business owners from famous tourist districts are not optimistic about the reopening. Wiwan Siriwasaeree, a hostel owner, is worried about the consequences of welcoming tourists back to Khaosan Road. “We fear that after we let the tourists in and the new Covid-19 cases spike again, will we go into another lockdown? I’m not so confident about the situation,” she said. Before the pandemic, the Chinese were the biggest group of tourists in Thailand. The Thai government predicts that its tourism industry will recover by 2023, but experts say that China’s decision to keep most of its borders closed will slow down recovery.
- When did Thailand reopen for tourism?
- Who are qualified for the quarantine-free entry?
- How much of Thailand’s population is fully vaccinated?
- Who were the biggest group of tourists in Thailand before the pandemic?
- According to experts, what will slow down Thailand’s recovery?
- When was the last time you traveled to another city/prefecture?
- Have you been vaccinated? If yes, did you experience any side effects? If no, when do you plan to get vaccinated?
- If you were traveling to Thailand, what are some ways you can do to protect yourself and others from COVID-19?
- What establishments in Thailand do you think should still stay closed?
- In your opinion, will global tourism recover by 2023? Why or why not?