- What infrastructure projects are being built in your country now?
- What do you think about China’s plan to stop the construction of new coal-fired power plants in other countries?
- massive /MAS-iv /
- agreement /uh-GREE-muhnt/
- state /steyt/
- majority /muh-JAWR-i-tee/
- domestic /duh-MES-tik/
[adjective] – very large in size, amount, or number
A massive number of people were crowded into the room.
[noun] – a decision or arrangement, often formal and written, between two or more groups or people
They have violated the conditions of the human rights agreement.
[noun] – a country or its government
The drought is particularly severe in Central African states.
[noun] – the larger number or part of something
The majority of the staff have earned a college diploma.
[adjective] – relating to a person’s own country
The prime minister’s international travels have prompted charges that he is disregarding domestic issues.
Under BRI, China has supported railroads, roads, ports, and coal plants in a number of countries, many of which are developing states. For the first time in several years, it did not fund any coal projects in the first half of 2021. China is also the world’s largest emitter of greenhouse gases, and coal is used to provide the majority of its domestic energy needs. Mr. Xi was referring to statements made last year that China would reach peak emissions by 2030 and then transition to carbon neutrality by 2060.
- What did China announce?
- What did Mr. Xi state in a video clip shown during the annual summit?
- What does BRI stand for?
- Which country is also the world’s largest emitter of greenhouse gases?
- What did China do for the first time in several years?
- Has your country started to lessen your carbon emission? How?
- Do you support this initiative? Why or why not?
- If you were President Xi Jinping, would you also decide to build any new coal-fired power plants outside of China? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that China would increase support for other developing nations in developing green and low-carbon energy?
- What do you think about President Xi Jinping’s decision?