- Are you an independent person?
- Do you think all people should meditate?
- intelligent /in-TEL-i-juhnt/
- attitude /AT-i-tood/
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt/
- technique /tek-NEEK/
- mindful /MAHYND-fuhl/
[adjective] – showing intelligence, or able to learn and understand things easily
Hiro is known as the most intelligent student in the class.
[noun] – a feeling or opinion about something or someone, or a way of behaving that is caused by this
He has a wonderful attitude toward work.
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
Look, I found an ancient coin!
[noun] – a way of doing an activity that needs skill
Our sales technique needs improvement.
[adjective] – deliberately aware of your body, mind, and feelings in the present moment to create a feeling of calm
Being mindful helps me with stress.
In his study, he explained how independent people stick to their personal beliefs; for example, they describe themselves as intelligent and have a great sense of humor. Meanwhile, dependent people focus more on their relationships. They usually introduce themselves as the “daughter” or “father” of someone. Poulin also discovered in his meditation test that people’s attitudes had a big impact on the results. Independent people are more self-centered, while those who are dependent are more likely to volunteer for charity purposes. Ronald Pursers’ 2019 book “McMindfulness: How Mindfulness Became the New Capitalist Spirituality” explained how ancient meditation techniques got separated from the original Buddhist teachings. Instead of awareness, mindfulness has become a means for practicing selfishness.
Now that technology is quickly developing, changing our mental function may accidentally bring harmful effects. It’s time to be mindful of how we show mindfulness.
True or False:
- According to Michael Poulin, mindfulness can also improve selfishness.
- Poulin’s study showed that dependent people focus more on their relationships.
- Based on the article, independent people are more likely to volunteer for charity purposes.
- Ronald Pursers published “McMindfulness: How Mindfulness Became the New Capitalist Spirituality” in 2020.
- The book explained how mindfulness has become a means for practicing selfishness.
Fill in the blanks:
- She needs to lighten up her serious _______.
- The pianist’s _______ was amazing.
- I need to be more _______ to stay calm.
- Haru is _______ and well-educated.
- My brother is knowledgeable about _______ Greece.