- What do you think of having a boss who is younger than you?
- What are the best qualities that youngsters have today?
- pitch /pich/
- criticize /KRIT-uh-sahyz/
- care for /kair fawr/
- passionate /PASH-uh-nit/
- impressive /im-PRES-iv/
[verb] – to try to persuade someone to do something
She pitched her idea to me during a business lunch.
[veb] – to give an opinion or judgment about a book, movie, etc.
We’re a group of artists who get together to talk about their ideas and criticize each other’s work.
[verb phrase] – to protect someone or something and provide the things they need
She is being cared for by a relative.
[adjective] – having very strong feelings or emotions
Jay is passionate about basketball.
[adjective] – If someone is impressive, you admire or respect that person for their special skills or abilities
The inventions of the twentieth century were impressive.
One of the board members is Shaina Shah, a 14-year-old Londoner. She is dedicated to environmental preservation and aspires to leave the world in a better state for future generations. “I feel that money should come first for adults,” she argues. “While young people may not always choose the most sustainable option, they have grown up in a culture where the effects of climate change are easily obvious.”
Shaina continues by saying that she and the other five members of the advisory board aren’t afraid to tell the adults when they believe they’ve made a mistake. They were picked after a competition organized by the environmental nonprofit Eco-Schools drew over 1,000 students from throughout England. Entrants were required to produce a 500-word personal essay answering three questions: “What inspired you to care for our planet?” “What skills or experiences you can bring?” And – “Do you have one idea for how a renewable energy company can do more to help protect the planet?” The six winners were described as “Incredibly passionate, insightful, and impressive“.
- Which company appointed six young people to a new advisory board?
- Who is one of the board members that is dedicated to environmental protection?
- What did she say about adults?
- What were the entrants required to produce?
- How were the six winners described?
- Do you know a young leader? Could you tell me something about him/her?
- Do you consider yourself a leader or a follower? Please elaborate on your answer.
- Would you let teens be in charge of your company? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with Shaina’s opinion?
- In your opinion, should nominating teens as leaders be applied to all organizations related to the protection of the environment? Why or why not?