- How often do you go to the bank?
- Are you usually busy on the weekend?
- old-fashioned /ohld-FASH-uhnd/
- loan /lohn /
- experiment /ik-SPER-uh-muhnt/
- reduce /ri-DOOS/
- attract /uh-TRAKT/
[adjective] – not modern; belonging to or typical of a time in the past
The hotel offers old-fashioned service.
[noun] – an amount of money that is borrowed, often from a bank, and has to be paid back, usually together with an extra amount of money that you have to pay as a charge for borrowing
We will ask the bank for a loan next week.
[noun] – a test done in order to learn something or to discover if something works or is true
The company’s experiment was a big success.
[verb] – to become or to make something become smaller in size, amount, degree, importance, etc.
Reducing store hours during the pandemic is important.
[verb] – (of people, things, places, etc.) to pull or draw someone or something towards them, by the qualities they have, especially good ones
I need to attract new customers to my cafe.
True or False:
- The staff of Atom Bank now works for 34 hours over four days.
- According to CEO Mark Mullen, doing 9-5, Monday to Friday is not a pretty old-fashioned way of working.
- Atom Bank offers business loans services.
- Microsoft Japan did an experiment in 2019 in which staff worked a four-day workweek on full pay.
- Mr. Mullen hopes that the change would attract new employees during the pandemic.
Fill in the blanks:
- We all believe that doing ______ on animals is wrong.
- Mina thinks that knitting is an _______ activity
- I am thinking of new ways to ______ customers to the store.
- Tina is trying to get a $20,000 ______ to start her own business.
- _________ an employees’ working hours is not a good idea.