- What is your favorite place in Japan?
- What is your favorite season: summer, winter, spring, or autumn/fall?
- show up /SHOH-uhp/
- capital /KAP-i-tl/
- downtown /DOUN-TOUN/
- bloom /bloom/
- destination /des-tuh-NEY-shuhn/
[phrasal verb] – to appear or be seen
Please wear a light-colored dress that will show up on a dark background.
[noun] – a city that is the center of government of a country or smaller political area
Beijing is the capital of China.
[adjective] – in or to the central part of a city
Twenty people were hurt in a fire in downtown San Francisco.
[verb] – when a flower blooms, it opens or is open, and when a plant or tree blooms it produces flowers
These trees will bloom all through the summer.
[noun] – the place where someone is going or where something is being sent or taken
Boracay is a famous tourist destination in the Philippines.
• Yoyogi Park
Yoyogi Park is just a short walk from Harajuku Station in Tokyo. It’s one of the biggest parks in the capital and is also near the Meiji Shrine. It’s also perfect for an afternoon visit, with its trees, trails, water features, and flowers.
• Icho Namiki Avenue
Icho Namiki is located in Tokyo’s downtown area. It has admirable gingko trees that bloom from late November to early December. Here, you can also sit back, relax, and eat at the Royal Garden Cafe with the brilliant koyo.
• Rikugien Gardens
Rikugien is one of the oldest parks in Tokyo, built in the 1700s. It’s lit up with lighting displays. Visitors need to pay an entrance fee of ¥300.
Japan has always been a great tourist destination. In addition to these Instagrammable places, the country’s culture and traditions are what make Japan unique from other countries.
True or False:
- In Japan, koyo shows up from May to August.
- Yoyogi Park is near Meiji Shrine.
- You can find wonderful gingko trees on Icho Namiki Avenue.
- Rikugien was built in the year 1820.
- An entrance fee of ¥600 is needed to enter the Rikugien Gardens.
Fill in the blanks:
- These flowers __________ in the spring.
- The injury did not __________ in the X-ray result.
- New York’s Times Square was one of our _________ during our US trip.
- Cairo is the _________ of Egypt.
- There are many great restaurants in _________ Los Angeles.