©BBC via REUTERS
- board /bawrd/
- accusation /ak-yoo-ZEY-shuhn /
- bias /BAHY-uhs /
- dedication /ded-i-KEY-shuhn/
- invaluable /in-VAL-yoo-uh-buhl/
[noun] – the group of people who are responsible for controlling and organizing a company or organization
We will have a meeting with the board of directors next week.
[noun] – a statement saying that someone has done something morally wrong, illegal, or unkind, or the fact of accusing someone
He immediately denied the accusation.
[noun] – the action of supporting or opposing a particular person or thing in an unfair way, because of allowing personal opinions to influence your judgment
I believe all employers must consider all candidates without bias.
[noun] – the willingness to give a lot of time and energy to something because it is important
Everyone admired Paul for his dedication to sports.
[adjective] – extremely useful
He gave me an invaluable advice.
Victoria Scholar, an investment analyst at Interactive Investor, said the development had not come as a surprise to Twitter’s board members “who have reportedly been preparing to say goodbye to Dorsey since last year”. During his tenure as a CEO, Dorsey appeared on television to address accusations of Twitter having a political bias and contributing to the spread of false information. Moreover, many investors were concerned that the platform was not getting the focus it needed while he was also running Square. In 2020, calls came for the co-founder to step down from his position, but he remained after an agreement with an investment firm. Board member Bret Taylor thanked the former CEO for his “visionary leadership and unrelenting dedication to Twitter since its founding.” “Jack has given the world something invaluable, and we will continue to carry it forward,” he said. Dorsey has expressed his plans to focus on bitcoin.
- When was the last time you heard some news about a social media platform? What was it about?
- Do you know anyone who regularly uses Twitter?
- If you were the CEO of a successful company, would you resign after 10 years to pursue another dream? Why?
- Which among these social media platforms do you think is the most innovative? (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- In your opinion, what qualities should a CEO have? Please explain your answers.