- What does your government do to solve the flooding problem?
- Do you think it is effective? Why do you think so?
- drown /droun/
- concept /KON-sept/
- management /MAN-ij-muhnt /
- function /FUHNGK-shuhn/
- extreme /ik-STREEM/
[verb] – to (cause to) die by being unable to breathe underwater
A child can drown in only a few inches of water.
[noun] – a principle or idea
The central concept of the picture puzzled me.
[noun] – the control and organization of something
The company has been harmed by poor management for numerous years.
[verb] – to work or operate
You’ll quickly pick up on how things function in the office.
[adjective] – very large in amount or degree
The heat in the desert was extreme.
It was a crucial point, with far-reaching implications not only for him but also for the rest of China. One of China’s most influential urban design theorists and Dean of Peking University’s college of architecture and landscape, Yu Kongjian, is the brains behind the sponge city concept for flood management, which is being applied in a number of Chinese cities. Even while some doubt if sponge towns can function in the face of more extreme floods as a result of climate change, he believes it is a concept that other places may adopt.
Prof. Yu mastered several traditional farming techniques as a child in Zhejiang’s eastern coastal region, such as storing rainwater in ponds for crops. It was well worth the effort. Following President Xi Jinping’s assent, the Chinese government unveiled a multibillion-yuan plan with a lofty goal: by 2030, 80 percent of China’s urban regions must have sponge city features and recycle at least 70% of rainwater.
- How did Yu Kongjian describe his near-drowning experience in the river?
- According to the article, who is one of China’s most influential urban design theorists?
- What is being applied in a number of Chinese cities today?
- Based on the article, what do some people doubt?
- According to the article. what will happen in China by 2030?
- Do you know an area in your city that floods? How serious is it?
- What little ways do you do to help this problem? Tell me more about it.
- If you were President Xi Jinping, would you approve Prof. Yu’s plan? Why?
- Do you agree to recycle rainfall?
- What do you think of the sponge city concept for flood management?