- How will you and your family celebrate New Year’s Eve?
- What special dish or meal do you eat during the holiday?
- standard /STAN-derd/
- stage /steyj/
- doubtful /DOUT-fuhl/
- hindrance /HIN-druhns/
- resolute /REZ-uh-loot/
[noun] – a level of quality
The university sets high standards for the enrollees.
[noun] – a part of an activity or a period of development
It’s quite late to make changes at this stage of his life.
[adjective] – if you are doubtful about something, you are uncertain about it
I’m doubtful Allen will arrive on time.
[noun] – something that makes it more difficult for you to do something or for something to develop
The bad weather has been a major hindrance to our picnic plans.
[adjective] – determined in character, action, or ideas
The students are resolute to pass the exams.
A recent psychological shows that “starting fresh” has various advantages. But is there something about this specific day that makes any kind of personal change appealing? Psychology professor Katy Milkman says that we think about our lives as if we were characters in a story. We think of different stages in our lives as “chapters”, with each flipping of the “pages” bringing a new beginning. This, according to Milkman, helps us to put psychological a distance between ourselves and previous failures. It causes us to believe that our “old selves” were the ones who made the mistakes and that we will do better in the future. Still, some are doubtful about the practice’s success rate. Surprisingly, it’s higher than what people assume. Based on a recent YouGov study, 35% of those who made resolutions maintained all of their commitments, while 50% kept part of their promises.
There will be a few hindrances in any great endeavor. However, if you’re resolute in making a change, you’ll have a much better chance of succeeding.
- What did Katy Milkman explain about people’s lives?
- Based on the article, what do people think of different stages in their lives?
- What is the success rate of the New Year’s resolution tradition?
- According to a YouGov survey, how many percent of people maintained the resolutions they made?
- On the other hand, how many percent of people kept part of their promises?
- Do you set New Year’s resolutions every year? Please tell me more about it.
- What was your resolution last year that you accomplished this 2021?
- If you were to set resolutions for 2022, what would they be and why?
- Do you consider the stages of your life as “chapters” in a book?
- In your opinion, why does the tradition of New Year’s resolution have a high success rate?