© ROMAN TURNEY PHOTOGRAPHY via BBC NEWS
- Have you volunteered for a good cause? If yes, please tell me more about it. If not, what would you like to volunteer for and why?
- When does your country usually have parades?
- witness /WIT-nis/
- parade /puh-REYD/
- customize /KUHS-tuh-mahyz/
- council /KOUN-suhl/
- community /kuh-MYOO-ni-tee/
[verb] – to see something happen
We witnessed a public song performance on our way home.
[noun] – a large number of people walking or in vehicles, all going in the same direction, usually as part of a public celebration of something
The parade drew a large crowd in the city.
[verb] – to make or change something according to the buyer’s or user’s needs
You’re free to customize the software in several ways.
[noun] – the group of people elected to govern a particular area, town, or city, and organize services for it
The council has proposed many plans to improve the city’s tourism.
[noun] – a group of people who are considered as a unit because of their shared interests or background
My family volunteers yearly to serve the community.
When Hill first came up with the idea, he expected only 20 or 30 tractors to participate. He said, however, that “every farm in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire sent a tractor or two,” as well as other vehicles. Hill claimed that he had the support of the National Farmers Union, local businesses, and the council, and that all he wanted to do was bring people together. Carla Pilsworth of Garden House Hospice expresses her gratitude and says it is “just what the community needed,” while Hitchin photographer Roman Turney says it was wonderful to see a parade of vehicles covered in Christmas lights for a good cause.
- Where did the parade of tractors move through?
- What is the goal of the Christmas parade?
- How did Richard Hill decorate his tractor?
- According to Hill, how many tractors did he expect to participate?
- What did Roman Turney say about the parade?
- Do you enjoy watching parades? Please tell me more about it.
- What are some of the most popular parades in your country?
- If you had a tractor, would you also participate in the parade? Why or why not?
- Should associations participate in Christmas fundraising activities every year?
- For you, what is the true essence of Christmas?