©BBC via GETTY IMAGES
- When do you usually go to the grocery?
- Do you buy fruits from the convenience store?
- ban /ban/
- wrap /rap/
- environmental /en-vahy-ruhn-MUHN-tl/
- effort /EF-ert/
- install /in-STAWL/
[verb] – to forbid (= refuse to allow) something
The school banned the use of cell phones in classrooms.
[verb] – to cover or surround something with paper, cloth, or other material
She happily wrapped Christmas presents.
[adjective] – relating to the environment
Cali’s friends are encouraging her to join an environmental club.
[noun] – physical or mental activity needed to achieve something
Ken is trying to put more effort into his studies.
[verb] – to put furniture, a machine, or a piece of equipment into position and make it ready to use
We need someone to help us install the air conditioner.
True or False:
- Cucumbers, lemons, and oranges will no longer be wrapped in plastic.
- France started to ban plastic straws and cups in 2011.
- Public spaces are also expected to install water fountains.
- Fast-food restaurants are allowed to continue selling plastic toys.
- Cities in the U.S. have announced plastic bans in recent months.
Fill in the blanks:
- They ______ alcoholic drinks in all stores last week.
- The students planted seeds in the pots for their ________ project.
- His coach praised him for his ______.
- Paul taught me how to _____ the kitchen sink.
- She tried to _____ the cookies in baking paper.