© WEBIO via BBC NEWS
- Have you experienced a food shortage?
- Does your local government have strict policies in controlling the spread of COVID-19?
- quarantine /KWAWR-uhn-teen/
- complaint /kuhm-PLEYNT/
- strict /strikt/
- immediately /ih-MEE-dee-it-lee/
- case /keys/
[verb] – to keep a person or animal away from others because they have a disease, or may have one, to prevent the spread of the disease
The doctor said Sarah needs to be quarantined for seven days.
[noun] – a written or spoken statement in which someone says that somebody has done something wrong or that something is not satisfactory
The business has received many complaints about their products.
[adjective] – strongly limiting someone’s freedom to behave as they wish
Sorry, I’m on a strict diet right now! I can’t come with you.
[adverb] – now or without waiting or thinking
We need to leave immediately before we get caught in the rain.
[noun] – a particular situation or example of something
There were few recorded cases of shop theft in the city.
True or False:
- Locals in Xi’an, China have been trading things for money.
- About 13 million people have been quarantined in their homes since December 23.
- Xi’an authorities have been providing free food to its residents.
- The high number of COVID-19 cases in China is centered in Yuzhou.
- Yuzhou was immediately shut down after the discovery of three asymptomatic cases of COVID-19.
Fill in the blanks:
- We’d like to file a _______ about the noise.
- The company has _______ policies on storing and sharing data.
- Kanata seems really tired. He _______ fell asleep after lying on the bed.
- Allen’s father is _______ in a facility. You won’t see him in their house.
- The number of COVID-19 _______ has increased since last month.