- What do you do to avoid getting sick?
- Do you always drink medicines when you are sick?
- flu /floo/
- trusted /TRUHS-tid/
- extraordinary /ik-STRAWR-dn-er-ee/
- delay /dih-LEY/
- substitute /SUHB-sti-toot/
[noun] – a common infectious illness that causes fever and headache
He is still recovering from the flu.
[adjective] – known to be honest and to provide good quality products or services
Hitachi is the most trusted brand of car batteries in the country.
[adjective] – very unusual, special, unexpected, or strange
I find his attitude quite extraordinary. He always pushes people away.
[noun] – the situation in which you have to wait longer than expected for something to happen, or the time that you have to wait
We are very sorry for the delivery delay of your item.
[noun] – something different or new that is used instead of another thing
Lemon juice is a good substitute for cough medicines.
True or False:
- There has been an ongoing shortage of medicines for flu-like symptoms in the Philippines due to the rising COVID-19 cases.
- Pascual Lab is the leading medicine producer in the Philippines.
- DTI stands for Department of Technology and Industry.
- DTI explained that some delivery delays caused the shortage.
- DOH recommends buying cheaper but trusted generic medicines as substitute for unavailable branded ones.
Fill in the blanks:
- I apologize for the _______ in answering your letter.
- In addition to medicines, you must drink more water and eat fruits to recover from the ______ quickly.
- BPI and BDO are two of the most ________ banks in the Philippines.
- Honey is a good _________ for sugar.
- Jane’s recovery from that __________ disease is a miracle.