©Josh Wardle via powerlanguage
- brainchild /BREYN-chahyld /
- avid /AV-id/
- amid /uh-MID/
- chaotic /key-OT-ik/
- perseverance /pur-suh-VEER-uhns/
[noun] – an original idea, plan, or invention
Coca-Cola was the brainchild of Mr. Robinson.
[adjective] – extremely eager or interested
Laura is an avid manga reader.
[preposition] – in the middle of or surrounded by
They try to minimize their expenses amid rising food prices.
[adjective] – in a state of chaos
They lived during a chaotic time.
[noun] – continued effort to do or achieve something, even when this is difficult or takes a long time
It took a lot of perseverance for Matt to finish his studies.
Wordle goes like this: first, you choose any five-letter word and type it out into the grid. Any incorrect letter pops up in grey. Correct letters turn yellow, and if the letter is also in the right place it turns green. Users have six tries to guess the word. On Twitter, thousands of players have shared their scores, revealing how many, or how few tries it took them to solve the puzzle and in what order. Wardle is taking the media by storm amid the pandemic and chaotic political issues.
If you’re up to the challenge, Wardle posts a new game every 24 hours on a website he created. Don’t worry, you don’t have to create an account, the game is totally free of charge. Just bring your A-game and a whole lot of perseverance.
- Have you tried playing a word game? If not, would you like to try Wordle?
- What are some of your country’s traditional games? Please describe them.
- If you were to invent an online word game, what would it be like?
- If Wordle reaches a billion players, should its creator charge the people money?
- In your opinion, are internet games better than traditional games? Please explain your answer.