- Are you an animal lover?
- Is there a dam near your area?
- natural /NACH-er-uhl/
- population /pop-yuh-LEY-shuhn/
- carnivore /KAHR-nuh-vawr/
- flood /fluhd/
- consider /kuhn-SID-er/
[adjective] – as found in nature and not involving anything made or done by people
Floods and earthquakes are natural disasters.
[noun] – all the people living in a particular country, area, or place
What is the population of this city?
[noun] – an animal that eats meat
Lions and tigers are carnivores.
[verb] – to cause to fill or become covered with water, especially in a way that causes problems
Our washing machine broke down and flooded our kitchen the other day.
[verb] – to spend time thinking about a possibility or making a decision
Make no conclusions until you’ve thoroughly considered the situation.
Tigers have not fared well in the modern world. The animals have lost nearly 90% of their natural range in the last century, despite their iconic and terrifying reputation. Despite recent population increases, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) classifies them as an endangered species with a population of roughly 3,500. The jaguars have a similar story to tell. From the southwest of the United States to Argentina, the range of these slender carnivores has been cut in half.
They calculated forest areas that were flooded to create artificial lake for the dams. It concluded that around 13,000 square kilometers of tiger habitat had been drowned. The population of tigers is considered to have suffered as a result of this.
True or False:
- The global growth of hydroelectric dams has had a negative impact on tiger and jaguar ecosystems.
- Dam construction has wiped out more than one-fifth of the world’s remaining tigers.
- IUCN classifies the tigers as an endangered species with a population of roughly 3,500.
- Tigers have lost nearly 70% of their natural range in the last century,
- The population of tigers is considered to have suffered as a result of flooding.
Fill in the blanks:
- We need to __________ how the law might be changed.
- India has a __________ of more than 1 billion.
- I have always preferred _________ products.
- Several families living by the river were _________ out
- A __________ is an animal that eats flesh.