- Do you like math?
- Do you like to talk about things about space?
- applicant /AP-li-kuhnt/
- spot /spot/
- long shot /lawng shot/
- form /fawrm /
- interest /IN-ter-ist/
[noun] – a person who formally requests something, especially a job
How many applicants did you have for the job?
[noun] – a spot is also a job in a particular organization or a position within a group, esp. in sports
They asked me to fill in his spot when he was injured.
[noun] – something that is not likely to succeed
You may try calling him at home, though it’s a long shot.
[verb] – to begin to exist or to make something begin to exist
A solution began to form in her mind.
[noun] – the feeling of wanting to give your attention to something or of wanting to be involved with and to discover more about something
I’ve always had an interest in math.
If you’re one of over 22,000 applicants for four spots on the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Astronaut Corps, you don’t need a Ph.D. in mathematics to realize it’s a long shot. Dr. Rooney, who has a Ph.D. in applied mathematics from Oxford University, is looking into how distant planets were formed, what they’re made of, and whether they’re capable of supporting life.
According to Dr. Rooney, Mrs. Anderson was the teacher who revived her interest in calculus after she had lost interest in the subject. “It wasn’t until GSCE when I got a really amazing teacher who reinstilled that love of maths, who showed me I could do it, and more importantly that it was a lot of fun,” she said.
True or False:
- According to the article, others may consider math to be a foreign language.
- Dr. Caoimhe Rooney is a scientist at NASA’s Ames Research Center in California.
- Dr. Caoimhe Rooney hopes to become an astronaut one day.
- ESA stands for European Space Agency.
- Mrs. Anderson was the teacher who revived Dr. Caoimhe Rooney’s interest in calculus.
Fill in the blanks:
- This subject is of great __________ to me.
- The job __________ must have good verbal skills.
- It’s a __________, but it just might work.
- There is one __________ remaining in the department.
- Let’s __________ a group.