- Do you like taking photos?
- Do you like going to the beach?
- effect /ih-FEKT/
- appear /uh-PEER/
- tourism /TOOR-iz-uhm/
- advise /ad-VAHYZ/
- fond /fond/
[noun] – the result of a particular influence
I believe I’m suffering from the effects of not getting enough sleep.
[verb] – to seem
In an interview, you must appear calm, even if you are afraid on the inside.
[noun] – the business of providing services such as transportation, places to stay, or entertainment for people who are on vacation
These beautiful towns have largely escaped the effects of tourism.
[verb] – to give someone advice
I would advise him to leave the firm.
[adjective] – to like someone or something very much; to like doing something
She was very fond of cats.
According to oceanographer Vassen Kauppaymuthoo, the number of seashells on the island has dropped by 60% in the last three decades. Climate change, as well as activities like overfishing, tourism, wastewater, and boat pollution, are to blame, according to him.
Mr. Kauppaymuthoo advises against collecting seashells from beaches since they help to prevent coastal erosion. Winds, waves, and sea currents have a tougher time moving the beach sand around because there are more shells. “Look at the shells, take photos of them – that way you can have fond memories and also knowing that you are saving them too,” he added.
True or False:
- Anesh Mungur remembers seeing a lot of seashells on the beaches of Mauritius when he was a kid with his family.
- Vassen Kauppaymuthoo is an oceanographer.
- Oceanographer Vassen Kauppaymuthoo blames climate change because of the decrease of seashells.
- Collecting seashells from beaches since they help to prevent coastal erosion.
- Taking photos of seashells is one way to save them.
Fill in the blanks:
- Boys are __________ of playing football.
- I tried to treat my headache with medicines, but it did not have any __________.
- I strongly __________ you not to do this.
- To people who don’t know him, he probably __________ to be unfriendly.
- _________ has not destroyed this island.