©Jeff Mitchell/Getty Images
- What part of your culture are you most proud of?
- What do you know about China’s history or culture?
- festivity /fe-STIV-i-tee/
- like two peas in a pod /lahyk-too-pees-in-uh-pod/
- latter /LAT-er/
- land /land/
- entrancing /en-TRAN-sing/
[noun] – the parties, meals, and other social activities with which people celebrate a special occasion
During the holidays, I usually go to special festivities or on a vacation with my family or friends.
[idiom] – very similar
The siblings Mavy and Aira are like two peas in a pod.
[noun] – the second of two people, things, or groups previously mentioned
My parents offered me a brand-new car or a trip to Paris as a graduation gift, and I chose the latter.
[verb] – to come to be in a condition or situation
Lucky me, my birthday this year will land on a Saturday!
[adjective] – beautiful or interesting in a way that means you cannot stop listening to or watching someone or something
This countryside provides you with some of the most entrancing views.
Lunar New Year marks the start of a calendar year that is based on moon cycles. As early as the 14th century BC under the Shang Dynasty, the tradition has been followed and usually landed between the end of January and mid-February. Last year, it fell on February 12. The celebration, however, isn’t a one-day affair but a 15-day entrancing holiday spent with family and friends. They prepare for it by cleaning their houses, preparing symbolic foods, putting up vibrant decorations, and letting off firecrackers. Several parades and other festivities are also held.
Based on the Chinese Zodiac, 2022 is the Year of the Tiger (February 1, 2022 to January 31, 2023), with water as the element of the year. With the goal to remove the bad and old and welcome the new and good, the Lantern Festival finishes the 15-day celebration by letting paper lanterns off into the sky.
- On what date does this year’s Lunar New Year fall?
- What is the difference between the Chinese New Year and the Lunar New Year, according to the article?
- For how many days do people usually celebrate the Lunar New Year?
- How do they prepare for the celebration? Kindly give at least three (3) ways.
- How does the tradition end?
- What traditional ways of welcoming the New Year do you have in your family or in your country?
- What aspects of Chinese culture are there in your country?
- If you would make your own festival, what would it be like?
- In your opinion, is Chinese culture as rich as the Japanese?
- Do you observe your traditions? Why or why not?