- What is your favorite holiday?
- Do you celebrate that holiday with your family or friends?
- culture /KUHL-cher/
- celebration /sel-uh-BREY-shuhn/
- follow /FOL-oh/
- Majesty /MAJ-uh-stee/
- Palace /PAL-is/
[noun] – the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time
Denise is currently studying Japanese language and culture.
[noun] – a special social event, such as a party, when you celebrate something
This good news deserves a celebration!
[verb] – to happen or come after something
He published a novel following the success of his poem.
[noun] – the title used to speak to or about a king or queen
His Majesty invites you to his son’s birthday.
[noun] – a large house that is the official home of a king, queen, or other person of high social rank
The first Emperor used to live in this Palace.
Emperor Jimmu is Japan’s first ruler in 660 BC. In Japanese mythology, he is believed to be a descendant of Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess. Because of this, the Emperor’s birthday has always been a reason for celebrations. It was known as “Tenchosetsyu” (天長節), which was taken from a Chinese phrase that means “The sky and the earth, the universe is eternal.” But it was changed to “Tenno Tanjobi” (天皇誕生) after the royal family abandoned all political power following World War II (WWII). His Majesty Naruhito, the current Emperor of Japan, was born on February 23, 1960, marking this the national holiday.
The Emperor’s birthday celebration is one of the only two events when the general public is allowed inside the Imperial Palace grounds in Chiyoda, Tokyo. Meeting the Emperor may be impossible this year, but February 23 will remain a national holiday for many years to come.
True or False:
- Emperor Jimmu is Japan’s first ruler.
- Emperor Jimmu is believed to be a descendant of Suijin.
- The Emperor’s birthday was known as “Tenchosetsyu”.
- His Majesty Naruhito was born on February 23.
- It is possible to see the Emperor this year on his birthday.
Fill in the blanks:
- They held a special _______ for the team’s success.
- The police were called to the area _______ the crime scene.
- Tourists can visit the Royal _______ between July and October.
- Could I borrow your book about Greek _______?
- Her _______ will make a public appearance this Sunday.