- Are you a coffee drinker?
- Do you like cashews and avocados?
- region /REE-juhn/
- crop /krop/
- temperature /TEM-per-uh-cher/
- quality /KWOL-i-tee/
- heat /heet/
[noun] – a particular area or part of the world, or any of the large official areas into which a country is divided
There’s a shortage of water in the region.
[noun] – a plant such as a grain, vegetable, or fruit grown in large amounts on a farm, or the total amount gathered of such a plant
Last year, apple growers celebrated their largest crop ever.
[noun] – the measured amount of heat in a place or in the body
The temperature suddenly dropped to zero.
[noun] – how good or bad something is
Their products are of very high quality.
[noun] – the quality of being hot or warm, or the temperature of something
How do you work in this heat if you don’t have air conditioning?
True or False:
- The areas appropriate for growing coffee, cashews, and avocados will drastically change as the planet heats
- Significant coffee-producing regions in Brazil, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Colombia would have “dramatically declined” by 2050.
- Coffee is one of the most significant crops on the planet.
- Avocado and cashew consumption has increased dramatically in recent decades.
- Avocado is the crop that suffers the most from excessive heat.
Fill in the blanks:
- You can feel the _________ of the day.
- The __________ has become a magnet for small businesses.
- Sugar has always been an important __________ on the island.
- The __________ has risen five degrees.
- The __________ of the picture on our television isn’t very good.