- Do you believe that there are more tree species on the planet than we originally thought?
- Do you know one rare species?
- previously /PREE-vee-uhs-lee/
- rare /rair/
- interview /IN-ter-vyoo/
- take place /teyk pleys/
- ingredient /in-GREE-dee-uhnt /
[adverb] – before the present time or the time referred to
She worked as a tour guide previously.
[adjective] – not common or frequent; very unusual
The museum is filled with rare and valuable items.
[noun] – a meeting in which someone asks you questions to see if you are suitable for a job or course
I had an interview for a job yesterday.
[phrasal verb] – to happen
The story took place in 1992.
[noun] – a food that is used with other foods in the preparation of a particular dish
2 cups of almonds were added to the list of ingredients.
Dr. Peter Reich of the University of Minnesota in St Paul told that the findings “highlight the vulnerability of global forest biodiversity.” “Our data will help us assess where biodiversity is the most threatened,” he told in an interview. “This is in the tropics and subtropics of South America, Africa, Asia, and Oceania and those are places where we discovered hotspots of known and unknown rare species.” “Knowing about these hotspots, hopefully, can help prioritize future conservation efforts,” Dr. Peter Reich adds.
Natural forests with a varied range of species are the healthiest and most productive, as well as being critical to the global economy and ecosystem. The majority of deforestation takes place in tropical countries, where it is spurred mostly by the production of ingredients for Western cuisines.
True or False:
- Based on the article, there are 14% more tree species than previously thought.
- Experts believe that 9,200 species out of a total of 73,300 are yet to be discovered.
- Dr. Peter Reich said that knowing about these hotspots can help prioritize future conservation efforts.
- Natural forests with a varied range of species are the healthiest and most productive.
- The majority of deforestation takes place in tropical countries.
Fill in the blanks:
- He created a wonderful meal from very few __________.
- She had __________ worked in that television network.
- The wedding will __________ in October.
- It’s very __________ to find employees who work hard like them.
- She wore a very smart pant suit to her job __________.