- Do you play sports?
- How often do you go out for a walk?
- maintain /meyn-TEYN/
- shake /sheyk/
- ability /uh-BIL-i-tee/
- avoid /uh-VOID/
- equipment /ih-KWIP-muhnt/
[verb] – to continue to have; to keep in existence, or not allow to become less
Ken is doing his best to maintain his grades this semester.
[verb] – If you are shaking, your body makes quick short movements, or you feel as if it is doing so
The 4-year-old child was shaking and crying.
[noun] – the physical or mental power or skill needed to do something
Rin has an amazing ability to sing high notes.
[verb] – to not allow yourself to do something
Please avoid playing loud music in public.
[noun] – the set of necessary tools, clothing, etc. for a particular purpose
They own a store that sells electrical equipment.
Test your balance
Try the one-leg stand test. Stand on the floor and lift one foot, balancing your weight over your remaining standing leg. Try it on both sides. Normally, you should be able to stand on one leg for at least 20 seconds without too much shaking. It is best to do this daily.
Enhance body awareness and control
Before you can do any body-weight exercise, you must first be aware of your body’s position. Doing yoga or tai chi while paying attention to how you shift your weight can do wonders for your body.
Posture affects your body’s ability to center your weight. Practice breathing exercises and avoid sitting for long periods.
The next time you head out, notice any problems with your walking and try to correct them. Be mindful of your steps.
These exercise strategies do not require any equipment. You can start doing them for a better balance.
True or False:
- When doing the one-leg stand test, you should lift one foot.
- You must first be aware of your body’s position before doing any body-weight exercise.
- Posture does not affect your body’s ability to center your weight.
- If you notice any problems with the way you walk, you must correct them.
- The exercise strategies require equipment.
Fill in the blanks:
- You can find the yoga mat in the workout ________ section.
- Please ________ being late to work.
- She began to _______ because of the cold weather.
- I admire her ______ to lead a class of 40 students.
- Exercising can help you ________ good health.