- Can you patiently wait for a text message?
- Do you reply to a text message instantly?
- communication /kuh-myoo-ni-KEY-shuhn/
- carry /KAR-ee/
- professor /pruh-FES-er/
- social network /SOH-shuhl NET-wurk/
- stressful /STRES-fuhl /
[noun] – the act of communicating with people
Television is becoming a more vital form of communication.
[verb] – to have something with you all the time
Police officers in my area do not usually carry guns.
[noun] – a teacher of the highest rank in a department of a British university, or a teacher of high rank in an American university or college
The professor took the students to the chemistry lab.
[noun] – a website or computer program that allows people to communicate and share information on the internet using a computer or cell phone
We teach kids how to use social networks safely.
[adjective] – making you feel worried and nervous
She’s very good at handling stressful situations.
As communication platforms have gotten tucked into our pockets and carried with us wherever we go, there are more ways to reach people than ever before, and the desire to respond has become more common. We “should” respond because we appear to be capable of doing so at all times. Furthermore, the apps on our phones and social media sites have firmly planted the idea of 24-hour communication into our daily lives.
“We’ve been conditioned towards immediate returns,” says Michael Stefanone, a professor of communication at the University of Buffalo in the United States who specializes in social networks. Meanwhile, if you get mad the next time someone doesn’t respond to your message, the best response is to put the phone down for a while – being connected 24 hours a day, seven days a week is stressful enough.
True or False:
- The apps on our phones and social media sites have firmly planted the idea of 24-hour communication into our daily lives.
- Michael Stefanone says that we have been conditioned towards immediate returns.
- Michael Stefanone is a professor of communication at the University of Buffalo in the United States.
- If your get mad the next time someone does not respond to your message, the best response is to put the phone down for a while.
- Based on the article, being connected 24 hours a day, seven days a week is stressful enough.
Fill in the blanks:
- The old __________ was greatly loved by her students.
- We live in an era of instant __________.
- She had a __________ job as a sales representative.
- Could you help me _________ my bag?
- To post a comment, log into your chosen _________ and add your comment below.