- What do you usually do during your free time?
- Did you like going to the playground or park when you were a child?
- come up with /kuhm uhp with/
- equipment /ih-KWIP-muhnt/
- equal /EE-kwuhl/
- spread /spred/
- dirt /durt/
[phrasal verb] – to suggest or think of an idea or plan
We need to come up with a solution to this problem.
[noun] – the set of necessary tools, clothing, etc. for a particular purpose
The company equipment is checked regularly.
[adjective] – the same in importance and deserving the same treatment
We are improving our education system to give children equal opportunities.
[verb] – to affect more and more places, people, or things, or to make something do this
The country’s culture has spread to the west.
[noun] – dust, soil, or any substance that makes a surface not clean
His clothes were covered in dirt after playing in the playground.
In the 1850s, Germany came up with the idea of a playground with specifically designed equipment, and the first playgrounds were built in Manchester, United Kingdom, and later Boston, Massachusetts. But Scandavania’s philosophy of playing has more freedom. It all started when Danish architect Carl Theodor Sørensen presented skrammellegepladser or “junk playgrounds”. After seeing children turn construction sites into play spaces in the 1930s, he made it his goal to provide equal opportunities for urban and rural children to play. Over the next four decades, Sørensen’s influence spread to Glasgow via Assemble Studio. The mud-themed Baltic Street Adventure Playground, designed by the Turner Prize-winning duo, debuted in 2013.
Playing is all about freedom. So the next time we go out to have fun, let’s get our clothes covered in mud, dirt, sweat, and joy!
True or False:
- The United Kingdom came up with the idea of a playground with specifically designed equipment,
- Scandavania has the philosophy of free play.
- Carl Theodor Sørensen’s goal is to provide equal opportunities for urban and rural children to play.
- Sørensen’s influence spread to Glasgow over the next five decades.
- The Baltic Street Adventure Playground is mud-themed.
Fill in the blanks:
|come up with||equipment||equal||reach||dirt|
- We haven’t _______ a final decision yet.
- The company promotes _______ opportunities to all employees.
- The old books are covered in _______.
- The disease has already _______ in several countries.
- We will receive the new _______ by next week.