© GETTY IMAGES via BBC News
- Do you like traveling abroad?
- What countries have you been to?
- Slovakia /sloh-VAH-kee-uh/
- take in someone /TEYK in/
- document /DOK-yuh-muhnt/
- advise /ad-VAHYZ/
- passport /PAS-pawrt/
[noun] – a country in central Europe near Poland and Ukraine
Slovakia is known for having the world’s highest number of castles.
[phrasal verb] – to provide a place for someone to live or stay
Our team plans to take in 5 more members.
[noun] – a paper or set of papers with written or printed information, especially of an official type
Could you print a copy of this document for me?
[verb] – to give someone advice
I’d advise you to go to the museum next weekend instead.
[noun] – an official document containing personal information and usually a photograph that allows a person to travel to foreign countries and to prove who they are
I applied for a passport last week.
Hungary – 89,561
Moldova – 65,391
Slovakia – 54,304
Romania – 38,461
Belarus – 329
Refugees do not need documents to enter the neighboring countries but are advised to bring their internal or international travel passports, birth certificates for children coming with them, and medical records. They must be Ukrainian citizens or lawful residents of Ukraine to have refugee status.
True or False:
- According to the EU, up to five million Ukrainians may leave their country.
- So far, Poland has taken in 377,000 Ukrainian refugees.
- Hungary has taken in 79,561 Ukrainian refugees as of March 1.
- Refugees are not required to have any documents to enter the neighboring countries.
- To have refugee status, individuals must be Ukrainian citizens or lawful residents of Ukraine.
Fill in the blanks:
- I will _______ them of my future plan.
- Aside from its castles, _______ also has more than 6,000 caves.
- I’m sorry, but the list is already full. We cannot _______ any more applicants.
- You can’t leave the country if you don’t have a _______.
- Could you sign this _______, please?