©Yi-Kai Tea via CNN
- Have you ever seen a rainbow?
- Have you been to the Maldives? If not, would you like to visit it?
- rare /rair/
- ocean /OH-shuhn/
- study /STUHD-ee/
- explore /ik-SPLAWR/
- future /FYOO-cher/
[adjective] – not common or frequent; very unusual
The Dragon’s Blood Tree is a rare tree located on Socotra Island.
[noun] – a very large area of sea
She likes listening to the sound of ocean waves.
[noun] – the activity of examining a subject in detail in order to discover new information
Kelly is doing a study on wildflowers.
[verb] – to search and discover (about something)
Lyn and Ren explored the city of Baguio.
[noun] – a period of time that is to come
Dylan’s dream is to become a flight attendant in the future.
Rose-veiled fairy wrasse is the first fish to be described by a Maldivian scientist—Ahmed Najeeb. The fish was first found in 1990, but researchers thought it was an adult belonging to Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis, or the red velvet fairy wrasse. The rose-veiled fairy wrasse adult males bear a unique color pattern of bright magenta, peach, orange-pink, and dark purplish-red.
A study describing the fish can be found in the journal ZooKeys. The Maldives Marine Research Institute, together with The California Academy of Sciences, will continue to explore more Maldivian reefs in the future.
True or False:
- Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa is the scientific name of the newly discovered fish.
- Ahmed Najeeb is a Maldivian scientist.
- Rose-veiled fairy wrasse was first found in 1980.
- The colors of the rose-veiled fairy wrasse adult males include bright magenta, peach, orange-pink, and light purplish-red.
- The Maldives Marine Research Institute and The California Academy of Sciences will explore more Maldivian reefs.
Fill in the blanks:
- There’s so much to _______ in London.
- Dani would like to do a ______ on hamsters.
- The Topaz family lives near the _________.
- She is planning to open a restaurant in the _______.
- The children spotted a _______ butterfly in the backyard.