I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Are you an animal lover?
- Do you like hedgehogs?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- population /pop-yuh-LEY-shuhn/
- decrease /dih-KREES/
- society /suh-SAHY-i-tee/
- suitable /SOO-tuh-buhl /
- hedgehog /HEJ-hog/
[noun] – all the people or animals living in a particular country, area, or place
The country is facing a sudden growth in population.
[verb] – to become less, or to make something become less
Sales have now peaked and we expect them to decrease soon.
[noun] – an organization to which people who share similar interests can belong
I have just joined the school debating society.
[adjective] – acceptable or right for someone or something
The movie is not suitable for students.
[noun] – a small, brown mammal with a covering of sharp spines on its back
As I got closer, the hedgehog rolled itself into a ball.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
According to studies, hedgehog populations in rural Britain are declining. Based on the State of Britain’s Hedgehogs report, the number of hedgehogs in rural regions has decreased by 30 to 75 percent since 2000. According to the statistics, hedgehog numbers are beginning to rebound in towns and cities, which is a “stark contrast.” Prickly mammals rely on hedgerows and field edges for survival, and their loss could hasten their extinction. The report reviewed data from five ongoing surveys conducted between 1981 and 2020 by the People’s Trust for Endangered Species (PTES) and the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS). Hedgehog populations have been declining for some time, but according to the study, there are now “vast differences” between urban and rural populations. The BHPS’s chief executive, Fay Vass, believes that immediate action is required to determine why rural areas are no longer suitable hedgehog habitats. “They have lived here for at least half a million years,” she said. “So we need to understand how conservationists, farmers, and land managers can work together to prevent hedgehogs from becoming extinct in the countryside.”
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- According to studies, hedgehog populations in rural Britain are declining.
- The number of hedgehogs in rural regions has decreased by 30 to 75 percent since 2000.
- Prickly mammals rely on hedgerows and field edges for survival.
- PTES stands for People’s Trust for Endangered Species.
- Extinct means no longer in existence.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- He was just not __________ for the job.
- A ___________ has tried to climb up the net.
- This year, our market share has __________ greatly.
- India has a ___________ of more than 1 billion.
- The National ____________ of Film Critics gave her an award.