© AFP via BBC News
- Do you think natural disasters have become more frequent nowadays? Please explain your answer.
- What is the worst natural disaster for you and why?
- magnitude /MAG-ni-tood/
- severe /suh-VEER/
- on board /ON BAWRD/
- aftershock /AF-ter-shok/
- mudslide /MUHD-slahyd/
[noun] – a measure of how strong or violent an earthquake is
A 5.0 magnitude earthquake was detected in the southern islands.
[adjective] – causing very great pain, difficulty, worry, damage, etc.; very serious
She is still recovering from severe flu.
[idiom] – on or in an aircraft, train, or ship
Have all passengers gone on board?
[noun] – a sudden movement of the earth’s surface that often follows an earthquake and is less violent than the first main movement
Authorities warned of another aftershock after the second one.
[noun] – a mass of mud (= wet earth) moving suddenly and quickly down a steep slope
The heavy rains caused flash floods and mudslides in the area.
Authorities in the prefectures of Fukushima, Miyagi, and Yamagata warned of possible aftershocks. Fumio Kishida, Japan’s prime minister, told reporters that the administration was still investigating the extent of any damage and that emergency services had received a flood of calls. On Thursday, the Meteorological Agency issued a public alert for more earthquake activity in the coming days. Masaki Nakamura, a representative from the agency, also warned locals about the risk of mudslides.
- How strong was the earthquake that hit Japan recently?
- How many households in 14 prefectures temporarily lost power?
- For how long were the passengers and crew members stuck on board the bullet train?
- What did the authorities in Fukushima, Miyagi, and Yamagata prefectures warn of?
- What did Masaki Nakamura warn the locals about?
- Do you have an emergency earthquake bag? What would you put in it?
- What must you do after a disaster strikes? (e.g. watch the news, check gas and water, etc.)
- If you were in the affected areas, would you evacuate? Why or why not?
- Is it possible to detect an earthquake before it hits?
- Do you think there are ways to prevent earthquakes? Please state your opinion.