- What is a wildfire?
- When are wildfires most likely to occur?
- barrier /BAR-ee-er/
- determine /dih-TUR-min/
- recovery /ri-KUHV-uh-ree/
- overall /OH-ver-AWL/
- impact /IM-pakt/
[noun] – something that prevents something else from happening or makes it more difficult
Ozone is the earth’s barrier against ultra-violet radiation.
[verb] – to discover the facts or truth about something
A follow-up audit will be conducted by the office to determine whether any modifications or improvements have been made.
[noun] – a process in which a situation improves after a difficult period
The physicians were surprised by her quick recovery.
[adjective] – in general rather than in particular, or including all the people or things in a particular group or situation
Despite a few small issues, the overall situation is good.
[verb] – to have an influence on something
Engineers believe that the new engine could impact how cars are developed in the future.
The study was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and Prof. Clare Murphy (Paton-Walsh) of the University of Wollongong commented on it. She predicted that ozone depletion would occur again after severe fires, which are expected to become more common as a result of climate change in the coming decades. “Any slowdown in the recovery of ozone in the mid-latitudes will increase the overall exposure to UV-radiation for Australians and hence may impact the occurrence of skin cancers in future,” she said.
- Based on the article, what caused a sequence of chemical reactions that led to ozone depletion?
- Who is Prof. Susan Solomon?
- What did Prof. Susan Solomont say about wildfires?
- Where was the study published?
- What did Prof. Clare Murphy predict about ozone depletion?
- In your own opinion, how does a wildfire start?
- What other countries experience wildfires? What do you think can be done about it?
- If wildfires occur in your country, how would you deal with it?
- Do you agree that intense fire episodes are expected to increase with climate change in the coming decades?
- Why are wildfires so destructive? Please elaborate on your answer.