I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Do you like springtime?
- Do you watch dinosaur movies?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- effect /ih-FEKT/
- expect /ik-SPECT/
- position /puh-ZISH-uhn/
- recently /REE-suhnt-lee/
- argue /AHR-gyoo/
[noun] – the result of a particular influence
The radiation release has had a disastrous effect on the environment.
[verb] – to think or believe something will happen, or someone will arrive
He didn’t expect to see me.
[noun] – a situation
When two of your closest friends get into a fight, it puts you in an awkward position.
[adverb] – not long ago, or at a time that started not long ago
Have you recently watched any good films?
[verb] – to give the reasons for your opinion, idea, belief, etc.
The senator argued that military spending needed to be decreased.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Scientists are not sure when an asteroid wiped off the dinosaurs, but they know it happened in the springtime in the Northern Hemisphere. They also argue that the timing of the tragedy may have influenced which animal species survived. It had no effect on dinosaurs, but it may have had an influence on other animals, birds, and plants. This was very certainly the case for animals in the Southern Hemisphere, where the impact occurred in the autumn or early winter. “In the Southern Hemisphere, many organisms would have been in hibernation or sheltering. That could have helped them,” explains Melanie of Uppsala University in Sweden. “In spring, you expect animals to be tending to their offspring which are very fragile, or perhaps they are still tending to eggs, waiting for them to hatch or be looking for food. That puts them in a vulnerable position.” Ms. During recently released the findings of a study of fossil paddlefish and sturgeon found in Tanis, North Dakota, showing that the fish perished in the spring.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Scientists are not sure when an asteroid wiped off the dinosaurs
- Scientists say an asteroid hit the Northern Hemisphere in springtime.
- The asteroid had little effect on dinosaurs, but it may have had an impact on certain creatures, birds, and plants.
- Ms. During recently published the results of a study of fossil paddlefish and sturgeon discovered near Tanis, North Dakota.
- In spring, animals that are tending to their offspring are very fragile.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- I’ve been feeling a little down __________.
- We __________ a large number of applicants for this position.
- I don’t think many people would _________ with that.
- I believe I’m suffering from the __________ of not getting enough sleep.
- At the moment, my financial __________ is problematic.