- Do you like springtime?
- Do you watch dinosaur movies?
- effect /ih-FEKT/
- expect /ik-SPECT/
- position /puh-ZISH-uhn/
- recently /REE-suhnt-lee/
- argue /AHR-gyoo/
[noun] – the result of a particular influence
The radiation release has had a disastrous effect on the environment.
[verb] – to think or believe something will happen, or someone will arrive
He didn’t expect to see me.
[noun] – a situation
When two of your closest friends get into a fight, it puts you in an awkward position.
[adverb] – not long ago, or at a time that started not long ago
Have you recently watched any good films?
[verb] – to give the reasons for your opinion, idea, belief, etc.
The senator argued that military spending needed to be decreased.
True or False:
- Scientists are not sure when an asteroid wiped off the dinosaurs
- Scientists say an asteroid hit the Northern Hemisphere in springtime.
- The asteroid had little effect on dinosaurs, but it may have had an impact on certain creatures, birds, and plants.
- Ms. During recently published the results of a study of fossil paddlefish and sturgeon discovered near Tanis, North Dakota.
- In spring, animals that are tending to their offspring are very fragile.
Fill in the blanks:
- I’ve been feeling a little down __________.
- We __________ a large number of applicants for this position.
- I don’t think many people would _________ with that.
- I believe I’m suffering from the __________ of not getting enough sleep.
- At the moment, my financial __________ is problematic.