I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- How do you dispose of your garbage at home?
- Do you support the conversion of garbage to aviation fuel?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- fuel /FYOO-uhl/
- waste /weyst /
- employment /em-PLOI-muhnt/
- design /dih-ZAHYN/
- permanent /PUR-muh-nuhnt/
[noun] – a substance that is used to provide heat or power, usually by being burned
Different types of fuel include wood, coal, oil, and gas.
[noun] – unwanted matter or material of any type, especially what is left after useful substances or parts have been removed
Every year, this city produces 20 million tons of household waste.
[noun] – the fact of someone being paid to work for a company or organization
Have you been looking for employment for a long time?
[noun] – the art of making plans or drawings for something
He is pursuing a degree in design in Paris.
[noun] – lasting for a long time or forever
She is looking for a permanent home.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Plans have been unveiled to build a facility in Cheshire to transform non-recyclable household garbage into sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Airlines flying out of UK airports will receive gasoline from the Stanlow Oil Refinery near Ellesmere Port. Its goal is to reduce landfill waste and reliance on fossil fuels. The facility would produce hundreds of employment, according to Aviation Minister Robert Courts, as “the region takes the lead in making aviation greener.” Fulcrum NorthPoint is a waste-to-fuel facility being developed by Fulcrum BioEnergy Limited, Essar Oil (UK) Limited, and Stanlow Terminals Limited for a total investment of £600 million. The plans are to be completed by the end of this year and operational by late 2025, pending planning approval. During the design, building, and commissioning phases, more than 100 permanent jobs and 800 direct and indirect jobs would be created. At the bio-refinery, hundreds of thousands of tonnes of pre-processed waste will be turned each year into around 100 million liters of low-carbon SAF.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- A facility in Cheshire plans to transform non-recyclable household garbage into sustainable aviation fuel.
- The plan’s goal is to reduce landfill waste and reliance on fossil fuels.
- The facility would produce hundreds of employment.
- The plans are to be completed by the end of this year.
- Hundreds of thousands of tonnes of pre-processed waste will be turned each year into around 100 million liters of low-carbon SAF.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- The new __________ will eventually replace all existing models.
- He left his home to look for __________.
- They ran out of __________.
- She is looking for a __________ place to stay.
- Oil spills are common, as is the dumping of toxic industrial _________.