©Issei kato via Reuters
- How often do you eat salty food?
- Do you use metal chopsticks? Why or why not?
- heighten /HAHYT-n/
- sense /sens/
- intake /IN-teyk/
- conventional /kuhn-VEN-shuh-nl/
- endure /en-DOOR/
[verb] – to increase or make something increase, especially an emotion or effect
TV commercials heightened the interest in food products.
[noun] – an ability to understand, recognize, value, or react to something, especially any of the five physical abilities to see, hear, smell, taste, and feel
Mina lost her sense of smell after catching a cold.
[noun] – the amount of something such as food, breath, or a liquid that is taken in by someone or something
You should increase your intake of vitamins.
[adjective] – traditional and ordinary
His family enjoys a conventional way of living.
[verb] – to suffer something difficult, unpleasant, or painful
I don’t think I can endure this heat.
According to Miyashita, the chopsticks enhance tastes through electrical stimulation and a mini-computer worn on a wristband. The device uses a weak electrical current to send sodium ions from food, through the chopsticks, to the mouth, making food 1.5 times saltier. Miyashita, in his journey to heighten human senses through technology, previously invented a lickable TV screen that can copy various food flavors.
Based on a report by World Health Organization, the average Japanese adult consumes about 10 grams of salt per day, twice the recommended amount of intake. “To prevent diseases, we need to reduce the amount of salt we take,” said Kirin researcher Ai Sato. “If we try to avoid taking less salt in a conventional way, we would need to endure the pain of cutting our favorite food from our diet.” Miyashita and Kirin are still making changes to the chopsticks before putting them on the market.
- Who invented the electric chopsticks?
- How does the device enhance tastes?
- What did Miyashita previously invent?
- According to WHO, how much salt does the average Japanese consume per day?
- How can we prevent diseases according to Kirin researcher Ai Sato?
- Please give some tips on how to use chopsticks properly.
- Would you like to try the electric chopsticks? Why or why not?
- If you could create a device that can be useful in the kitchen, what would it be? How can it help people?
- Do you think the electric chopsticks could help those who need to reduce sodium in their diets?
- In your opinion, what is a healthy diet? Please explain your answer.