- What holidays do you always look forward to? Please tell me more about them.
- What do you think is the most important holiday in your country and why?
- date back /deyt bak/
- honor /ON-er/
- entrance /EN-truhns/
- display /dih-SPLEY/
- carp /kahrp/
[phrasal verb] – to have existed for a particular length of time or since a particular time
Washington’s official snowfall records date back to 1884.
[verb] – to show great respect for someone, esp. in public
Mother’s Day is a special day to honor motherhood.
[noun] – the right to enter a place
Many amusement parks offer free entrance to children today.
[verb] – to arrange something or a collection of things so that it can be seen by the public
Locals display their handmade works on the city’s special holiday.
[noun] – a large fish that lives in lakes and rivers and can be eaten
You will see many goldfish and carp in this pond.
Shōwa no Hi (Shōwa Day)
Former Emperor Shōwa was born on this day and reigned as Japan’s ruler from 1926 until his death in 1989. Originally, Greenery Day was observed on this day until 2006.
Kenpo kinenbi (Constitution Day)
The new constitution after World War II took effect on this day in 1947. The event is celebrated to remember Japan’s past and learn more about its government.
Midori no Hi (Greenery Day)
Greenery Day was created to honor Emperor Shōwa and his love of nature. Many parks and gardens in Japan, including Rikugien Garden and the Ueno Zoo, offer free entrance on this day.
Kodomo no Hi (Children’s Day)
On this day, families pray for their boys’ health and future wealth by displaying samurai figures and hanging koinobori (flying carp kites), both symbolizing strength, power, and success. This day is also known as Tango no Sekku (Boys’ Festival).
With such a long line of vacations, there is a lot to do in one week. This year, how would you celebrate Golden Week?
- What year did Golden Week begin?
- Until when did Emperor Shōwa rule over Japan?
- When is Constitution Day celebrated?
- Why was Greenery Day created?
- What is Children’s Day also known as?
- Please share how you celebrate Golden Week.
- How was the Golden Week during the start of the pandemic?
- If possible, which holiday of the Golden Week would you remove/replace and why?
- Do many Japanese go on outdoor trips during the Golden Week?
- Which among the four holidays of the Golden Week do you enjoy the most and why?