- How hot/cold is it in your city today?
- Do you believe in climate change?
- method /METH-uhd/
- reduce /ri-DOOS/
- avoid /uh-VOID/
- predict /pri-DIKT/
- expert /EK-spurt/
[noun] – a particular way of doing something
Train travel is one of the safest methods of transport.
[verb] – to become or to make something become smaller in size, amount, degree, importance, etc.
The plane reduced its speed as it approached the airport.
[verb] – to stay away from someone or something
Do you believe Lukas is trying to avoid me? I haven’t seen him in a long time.
[verb] – to say that an event or action will happen in the future, especially as a result of knowledge or experience
No one can predict when the sickness will return.
[noun] – a person with a high level of knowledge or skill relating to a particular subject or activity
She is an expert at dressmaking.
True or False:
- UN experts have devised a method for addressing the root causes of global warming and climate change.
- IPCC stands for Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- IPCC has revealed its advice on what the world can do to avert a dark future.
- Anton Guterres is the UN Secretary-General.
- To avoid disaster, analysts predict that the world must keep global warming to 2.5 degrees Celsius or less this century.
Fill in the blanks:
- Try to __________ your intake of fat.
- I cannot __________ when to meet her again.
- Peter’s an __________ in his field.
- Are you trying to __________ me?
- He invented a new __________ to make bread.