©Google via BBC
- What can you say about your primary school?
- Which do you prefer, a large or small class? Why?
- rural /ROOR-uhl/
- case /keys/
- agreement /uh-GREE-muhnt/
- expand /ik-SPAND/
- oppose /uh-POHZ/
[adjective] – in, of, or like the countryside
Poverty still exists in some rural areas.
[noun] – a particular situation or example of something
Public transport is not a good option in this case.
[noun] – a decision or arrangement, often formal and written, between two or more groups or people
Two schools have reached an agreement to share materials.
[verb] – to increase in size, number, or importance, or to make something increase in this way
The start-up has gained enough profit to expand its business.
[verb] – to disagree with something, often by speaking or fighting against it
The faculty members are opposed to the changes in policies.
The EA is in charge of defining Northern Ireland’s educational future. This could involve expanding a school by adding more classrooms or closing a school that is no longer sustainable. Meabh Owens’ daughter is a student at the school where she herself attended as a student. A news report says she intends to oppose the plan. Owens said: “As parents, we want the best for our children. Having an integrated education in 2022 is really important.” A future education minister will decide whether to keep or close the school. A final decision is expected in January 2023.
- What school in Northern Ireland is expected to close in August 2023?
- How many students and teachers does the school have?
- According to the Department of Education, what is the minimum required number of students for a rural primary school?
- Who is in charge of determining the future of Northern Ireland’s education?
- Who is opposed to the plan of closing the school?
- Please share your most memorable experience in primary school.
- Did you dislike the first day of school as a child? Please tell me more about it.
- If you were an education minister, would you decide to close Balloughry Primary School? Why or why not?
- Is it necessary for a school to have a required minimum number of students?
- For you, what is the most important thing a primary school should teach children?