© REUTERS via BBC
I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Have you seen a lunar eclipse?
- Is the moon important in your culture?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- lunar /LOO-ner/
- usually /YOO-zhoo-uh-lee/
- chance /chans/
- crowd /kroud/
- set /set/
[adjective] – of or relating to the moon
Today is the first day of the lunar new year.
[adverb] – in the way that most often happens
My family and I usually go to the restaurant every Sunday.
[noun] – the happening of something in a way that no one could have known, so that it seems to have no cause
I met my former teacher by chance.
[noun] – a large group of people who have come together
The crowd gathered around the shop.
[verb] – (of the sun, moon, or planets) to go down below the horizon (= the line at which the earth seems to join the sky)
We waited on the beach until the sun set.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
A total lunar eclipse occurred at 03:29 GMT on Monday, May 16, turning the moon crimson. The Earth’s shadow fully covered the moon, giving it a rich, dark red hue. Lunar eclipses are usually referred to as “blood moons” because of this. A supermoon then occurred by chance during the eclipse: This is when the moon is at the closest point in its orbit to the Earth and appears bigger than usual. Crowds gathered near Athens in Greece to watch the super blood moon at the Temple of Poseidon in Greece. However, the phenomenon was only visible for a bit of that period in Europe due to the setting sun. Meanwhile, the occurrence was captured by clear skies in the Americas. Although eclipses happen only twice a year, the Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts seven additional full moons in 2022.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- A total lunar eclipse happened on May 15.
- Lunar eclipses are usually referrred to as “blood moons” due to the moon’s color changing to deep red.
- A supermoon occurred during the eclipse.
- The super blood moon was only visible for a short period in Europe.
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts eight additional full moons in 2022.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- The _______ cheered when Richard scored a winning hit.
- The second _______ eclipse will happen in November.
- We didn’t see the eclipse very well due to the _______ sun.
- We met on the train by _______.
- What do you _______ do on the weekends?