- What gadgets do you use? Could you tell me about them?
- Do you have gadgets that cannot be used anymore? Could you tell me about them?
- precious /PRESH-uhs/
- result in /ri-ZUHLT in/
- chaos /KEY-os/
- enable /en-EY-buhl/
- manufacture /man-yuh-FAK-cher/
[adjective] – of great value because of being rare, expensive, or important
In many places of the world, clean water is a precious find.
[phrasal verb] – to cause a particular situation to happen
The fire resulted in injuries to her arm.
[noun] – a state of disorder and confusion
Snow and ice have caused chaos on the roads.
[verb] – to make someone able to do something, or to make something possible
We should be able to cut production expenses in half thanks to computerization.
[noun] – the process of producing goods
Oil is used in the manufacture of several fabrics.
Due to growing demand, the price of lithium, another important component in battery technology, climbed by roughly 500 percent between 2021 and 2022. Some vital components are rapidly diminishing. “Our tech consumption habits remain highly unsustainable and have left us at risk of exhausting the raw elements we need,” said Prof. Tom Welton, president of the Royal Society of Chemistry, adding that those habits were “continuing to exacerbate environmental damage”.
- Who says that mining the Earth for valuable metals to make new gadgets is unsustainable?
- What does RSC stand for?
- What can pose a threat to precious metal supply networks?
- Could you mention another important component in battery technology?
- Who is the president of the Royal Society of Chemistry?
- What do you do with an old gadget? Could you please tell me about it?
- What things at home do you recycle? Why?
- If you had a chance to recycle something and put it to good use, what would it be? Why?
- Do you agree with Prof. Tom Welton’s statement?
- What do you think of the scientists’ advice? Please elaborate on your answer.