- What food is included in your daily diet and why?
- What is your go-to snack and why did you choose it?
- decade /DEK-eyd/
- livestock /LAHYV-stok/
- income /IN-kuhm/
- estimate /ES-tuh-meyt/
- abandon /uh-BAN-duhn/
[noun] – a period of ten years
The city has shown signs of improvement during the past decade.
[noun] – animals kept on a farm, such as cows, sheep, chickens, and pigs
Raising livestock is the primary source of income in this community.
[noun] – money that is earned from doing work or received from investments
He makes income through freelance work.
[verb] – to guess or calculate the cost, size, value, etc. of something
Could you give me an estimate of the repair costs?
[verb] – to leave a place, thing, or person, usually for ever
This village has long been abandoned by its people.
In 2011, a drought resulted in a famine that killed a quarter of a million people. As of April 2022, nearly 700,000 people have been forced from their homes in search of food and water for themselves and their animals, and the number is growing. Prices for food and water are rising, and villages are being abandoned as people travel closer to urban areas in search of relief. According to Mr. Abdelmoula, the international community’s response is lacking, with only 18 percent of the United Nations’ humanitarian response plan having been funded.
- What has the UN issued recently?
- What is the major source of income in Somalia?
- According to the UN, how many people have been affected by severe drought in the country?
- How many people have been forced from their homes in search of food and water in 2017?
- What percentage of the UN’s humanitarian response plan having been funded?
- Have you ever experienced having just one meal the entire day? If so, please tell me more about it. If no, what would you do if you experienced it?
- Do you spend too much on food? Please tell me more about it.
- If you were a citizen of Somalia, what would you do to avoid starvation?
- Should the United Nations provide livestock to the people of Somalia?
- What initiatives should the United Nations take to aid Somalia?