- Do you use your phone as an alarm clock?
- Can you fall back to sleep easily after waking up?
- annoyed /uh-NOID/
- relaxing /ri-LAKS/
- include /in-KLOOD/
- method /METH-uhd/
- habit /HAB-it/
[adjective] – angry
My friends were annoyed at the way the party ended.
[adjective] – making you feel relaxed
I had a relaxing vacation in Hawaii.
[verb] – to contain something as a part of something else, or to make something part of something else
Tax is already included in the bill.
[noun] – a particular way of doing something
My mother found a method to make better cake.
[noun] – something that you do often and regularly, sometimes without knowing that you are doing it
Going to bed early is a good habit.
Don’t keep your eye on the time or your phone
Use an alarm that isn’t connected to your phone if at all possible. Sleep expert and senior behavioral scientist Wendy Troxel says that light exposure from our phones makes us more alert.
Leave your bed
Direct your brain’s attention to a regular task, such as reading, knitting, or listening to relaxing music. Go back to bed when you start to feel sleepy.
Record the good and the bad
Record the times you wake up and go to bed each night. Include any relaxing methods that may have helped you fall asleep on that specific day.
It’s important to try a number of sleep-related strategies, even though they might not be effective for everyone. Turn these techniques into habits.
True or False
- It is better to not use an alarm that is not connected to your phone.
- Wendy Troxel says light exposure from our phones makes us more sleepy.
- The second technique is to get out of bed and do house chores.
- It is not preferable to record the times you wake up and go to bed each night.
- All sleep-related techniques are effective for everyone.
Fill in the blanks
- VIP tickets _______ the freebies.
- Drinking coffee in the morning has been my _______ ever since.
- What payment _______ would you prefer?
- My sister finds baking _______. She often makes cookies when she’s stressed.
- Their noise _______ the neighbors.