- terminate /TUR-muh-neyt/
- spam /spam/
- premier /pri-MEER/
- authenticate /aw-THEN-ti-keyt/
- advocate /AD-vuh-keyt/
[verb] – to (cause something to) end or stop
No contract may be terminated by either party without prior written notice.
[noun] – e-mail that is sent to a lot of people, especially e-mail that is not wanted
Spam mails can be filtered out using specialized software.
[adjective] – best or most important
He is working as a premier researcher for a second year.
[verb] – to prove that something is real, true, or what people say it is
We require the digital signature that was used to authenticate the message.
[verb] – to publicly support or suggest an idea, development, or way of doing something
Numerous professionals advocate praising children for good behavior.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced ambitions to purchase Twitter in April, but the deal was shelved a month later over concerns about the prevalence of fake accounts on the platform. Musk stated when the contract was first reached that he sought to improve the website by “defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans”. Twitter has long struggled with artificial “bots” that continuously post inaccurate or malicious content. Furthermore, Musk has advocated for greater transparency in the system, which allows select tweets to be promoted and sent to larger audiences on the site.
- Have you received any spam messages before? What do you do with the accounts that have sent them?
- What new features on social networking sites would you like to see?
- If you were part of Twitter’s board, would you force Musk to push through the agreement? Why or why not?
- Did Musk make the right decision to back out of the agreement?
- How can we improve the security of our social media accounts?