- What do you think about when you hear the word “nature”?
- Are you environmentally friendly?
- natural /NACH-er-uhl/
- home /hohm/
- journey /JUR-nee/
- moment /MOH-muhnt/
- vote /voht/
[adjective] – as found in nature and not involving anything made or done by people
The town has a wonderful natural beauty.
[noun] – someone’s or something’s place of origin, or the place where a person feels they belong
I live in Japan, but my home is the Philippines.
[noun] – a set of experiences that someone has over a period of time, especially when they change the person in some way
We want all parents to be part of their children’s educational journey.
[noun] – a particular time or occasion
What is the best moment of your life?
[verb] – the act of showing your choice or opinion in an election or meeting
She’s not old enough to vote in the election.
“Once There Were Wolves” by Charlotte McConaghy
In the story, biologist Inti Flynn thinks that by putting the wolves back in their original homes, she will also be able to assist her twin sister Aggie in getting over the terrible events that forced them to leave Alaska.
“Birdgirl” by Mya-Rose Craig
The narrative explains how each observation of a bird is a step in the author’s journey to finding her own voice and in the difficult path her family has been through. Despite her mother’s bad mental health, she experiences a “”moment of peace”” when she discovers a new bird.
“The Great British Tree” by Mark Hooper
Hooper says that the Suffrage Oak in Glasgow was planted in 1918 in celebration of the Representation of the People Act. This was the first step toward giving women the right to vote in Great Britain.
Even if we don’t all want to go into nature, we may all feel refreshed in nature because of the happiness it seems to provide us every spring and summer.
True or False:
- Charlotte McConaghy wrote “Once There Were Wolves”.
- Inti Flynn is a biologist in “Birdgirl”.
- “Birdgirl” is about the author’s journey of finding her own voice.
- The Suffrage Oak was planted in 1918.
- “The Great British Tree” is about the first step toward giving women the right to vote in the United States.
Fill in the blanks
- She’s on a _______ to find her true self.
- You’re in Spain right now, but where is your _______?
- A birthday is an important _______ in anyone’s life.
- This product is made of _______ ingredients.
- Not everyone in our family will _______ in the election.