- Do you often feel anxious?
- What do you do when you are starting to feel worried?
- interview /IN-ter-vyoo/
- situation /sich-oo-EY-shuhn/
- habit /HAB-it/
- possible /POS-uh-buhl/
- mindset /MAHYND-set/
[noun] – a meeting in which someone asks you questions to see if you are suitable for a job or course
I was nervous before the interview.
[noun] – the set of things that are happening and the conditions that exist at a particular time and place
I found myself in an embarrasing situation.
[noun] – something that you do often and regularly, sometimes without knowing that you are doing it
Waking up early is a good habit.
[adjective] – able to be done or achieved, or able to exist
Is it possible to move the meeting to tomorrow?
[noun] – a person’s way of thinking and their opinions
The importang thing is to keep the right mindset.
If you can relate to this situation, you might be catastrophizing. It’s a mental habit that you think that bad things will always happen. But therapists say that it is possible to break negative thought patterns. The first step is to know if you’re becoming anxious and to pause thinking for a while. Know that failure is a possibility rather than a guarantee. If you fail, you can still learn from the situation and do better next time. Create a mindset where you can check the situation with facts instead of negative thoughts.
This doesn’t mean you need to think of only good things all the time. Simply do things by being aware.
True or False:
- Catastrophizing a mental habit that you think that bad things will always happen
- It is not possible to break negative thought patterns.
- The first step is to continue thinking if you are having negative thoughts.
- It is recommended to create a mindset where you can check the situation with facts.
- You do not need to think of only good things all the time.
Fill in the blanks
- He was put in a difficult _______.
- It’s important to have the same _______ as them.
- I’ll have my job _______ tomorrow.
- It’s not _______ to buy the tickets now.
- She has a _______ of tapping her foot when angry.