- Do you follow any social media influencers?
- Have you thought about being a social media influencer?
- unequal /uhn-EE-kwuhl/
- color /KUHL-er/
- bullying /BOOL-ee/
- appearance /uh-PEER-uhns/
- attract /uh-TRAKT/
[adjective] – not treating everyone the same; unfair
Bernie and Adam receive unequal treatment at school.
[noun] – the natural color of a person’s skin, especially when considered in terms of race
Southeast Asians normally have darker colors than other Asians.
[noun] – the behavior of a person who hurts or frightens someone smaller or less powerful, often forcing that person to do something they do not want to do
The school has strict rules against bullying.
[noun] – the way a person or thing looks to other people
I don’t see anything unusual in her appearance.
[verb] – (of people, things, places, etc.) to pull or draw someone or something towards them, by the qualities they have, especially good ones
Our local museum is trying to attract more visitors.
Although we see the beautiful lifestyles of influencers on social media, they actually receive unequal pay because of their gender, color, disability, or mental health issues. It’s also common for them to choose their own price. As a result, they end up losing confidence in their abilities and working for free. They aren’t safe from online bullying, either. They often receive harsh comments about their appearance, the things they post or don’t post, and their work as influencers. This could lead to issues like eating disorders, depression, and anxiety, among other issues with mental and physical health.
Being a social media influencer attracts many people. But it’s important to know its dark side through tighter employment rules.
True or False:
- Nowadays, many young people want to be social media influencers.
- Social media influencers receive equal pay.
- Social media influencers do not choose their own price.
- Content creators often receive harsh comments online.
- Online harassment could lead to mental and physical health issues.
Fill in the blanks
- All people must be treated the same despite _______ differences.
- Comedy shows can easily _______ many people.
- From what I remember, he has the _______ of a middle-aged man.
- The employees receive _______ pay at work.
- The organization is working hard to raise awareness about _______ in school.