- What activities do you avoid doing?
- Have you ever tried fasting?
- interest /IN-ter-ist/
- limited /LIM-i-tid/
- pleasure /PLEZH-er/
- attention /uh-TEN-shuhn/
- take away /TEYK-uh-wey/
[noun] – the feeling of wanting to give your attention to something or of wanting to be involved with and to discover more about something
Her interest in art was from her father.
[adjective] – kept within a particular size, range, time, etc.
The room is only limited to 4 people.
[noun] – enjoyment, happiness, or satisfaction, or something that gives this
He wrote an article on the pleasures and pains of hiking.
[noun] – notice, thought, or interest
Don’t pay any attention to what they say.
[verb] – to remove something
I’ll give you some tablets to take away the pain.
According to a news website, “dopamine fast” practitioners abstain from anything that makes them feel good, including but not limited to eating, exercising, using social media, playing video games, and becoming involved in conversations. By avoiding tiny pleasures, fasting aims to “reset” the reward system in the brain, which is programmed by the neurotransmitter dopamine. As per another news website, people give a lot of attention to the jobs they had previously avoided. Dr. Anna Lembke, associate professor and medical head of addiction medicine at Stanford University, claims that patients suddenly reacquaint themselves with life without screens or other distractions.
It’s not intended to cause any kind of mental illness or to lower dopamine levels. On the other hand, people who fast from dopamine spend less time engaging in bad conduct. Fortunately, you can’t entirely “fast” or take away dopamine from your body by diet or lifestyle because doing so would probably have bad effects.
True or False:
- Dopamine fast practitioners avoid anything that makes them feel good.
- Fasting aims to “reset” the reward system in the brain.
- Dr. Anna Lembke is an associate professor and medical head of addiction medicine at Stanford University.
- Dopamine fasting is a kind of mental illness.
- People who fast from dopamine spend less time engaging in bad conduct.
Fill in the blanks:
- Taking a vacation may ______ your pain.
- Can I have your ______ please?
- This subject is of great ______ to me.
- It’s always a ______ to see you.
- The problem of stress is not ______ to people who work.