© Wikimedia Commons via historyofyesterday.com
- Do you like attending parties?
- What was the best party you have attended?
- organize /AWR-guh-nahyz/
- ancient /EYN-shuhnt/
- theater /THEE-uh-ter/
- currency /KUR-uhn-see/
- invite /in-VAHYT/
[verb] – to make arrangements for something to happen
My sister helped organize the party.
[adjective] – of or from a long time ago, having lasted for a very long time
Ancient legend says that the river was once home to a goddess.
[noun] – a cinema
The movie is now out in theaters.
[noun] – the money that is used in a particular country at a particular time
The Philippine peso is the official currency of the Philippines.
[verb] – to ask or request someone to go to an event
I’d like the invite everyone to the party.
The party was for the 2,500th anniversary of the first Persian Empire. There were no large hotels or other buildings to hold the event. So, the party took place in the ancient Persopolis ruins in the desert. The party’s one-year preparation was published in newspapers. A film director was also hired to take a video of the event. It was then shown as a movie in several theaters all over the world. The cost of the party is different depending on the source. The Shah’s administration estimated the price to be at $17 million. Meanwhile, Iranians estimated that the event must have cost around $500 million, or over $1 billion in today’s currency.
But many historians believe that the party was one of the reasons the Shah’s government fell. The ministers and Iranians were not invited. It was a party to celebrate the first Persian Empire without its people.
True or False:
- The Shah of Iran organized the biggest party in 1971.
- The party was for the 2,500th anniversary of the second Persian Empire.
- The party was held in a large hotel.
- The party was made into a movie.
- Iranians estimated that the event must have cost around over $1 billion in today’s currency.
Fill in the blanks
- When will the movie be released in _______?
- Sadly, we were not _______ to the event.
- People have lived in this village since _______ times.
- The UK’s national _______ is the pound sterling.
- The committee will _______ a meeting between the teachers and the parents.